Tuesday, September 1, 2009

It's Not Just a Cookie...


Captains Blog: Stardate 10909.01
Dontcha just love birthdays? Here at the office, when one of our co-workers has a birthday, we sing and celebrate and people bring in food for all to share. This is a nice thing... a GOOD thing that we celebrate each other like that. I LOVE sweets... or I used to. Now when there are all manner of carbolicious treats around, it is not unusual for people to offer me a cookie lets say... and when I decline, I might hear, Oh it's just one cookie. But for me... it's NOT just a cookie. Granted I love the IDEA of a cookie, cause it is sweet and undoutedly tastes good. BUT, for me, that cookie also represents the past... past habits of mind, and past behaviors that led me to being so overweight and unhealthy. That cookie has baggage! So when I say "no thanks" to things that I would have snarfed without a thought in the past, that's a little personal victory to me, a re-commitment to the changes I have made and continue to make. It's a celebration that I am in control. I'm no longer living to eat, just eating to live.. as it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment