Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Protein Wars

Captainsblog, Stardate: 63709.5
Note: I thought of the "Captainsblog, Stardate" thing long before Sheldon Cooper did!

Protein, protein, protein.  It is SOOO important! I've known this from way before the surgery, it was imbedded in all of the pre-op education, and I have focused on it from the get-go.  However, it has gradually become less of a focus.  As I get further and further post-op... different foods have wandered back into my diet, such as more carbs.  Not necessarily BAD carbs, I'm not snarfing down sweets... not to worry my faithful friends... the consequences of THAT behavior would be dire indeed, and I know it!  But with restricted portions, any non-protein you consume kind of kicks a certain amount of protein out.  You can only put so much into the pouch after all!  So along with the traumatic effects of the surgery on my hair (didn't think I could NOT mention it, didja?)... my nails are showing signs as well, more brittleness and some ridges and peeling that I know to be signs of not enough protein. So, I have renewed my efforts to up the amount of protein, and I am keeping a food log, and keeping track of my protein grams on that as well.  Its an "in your face" way to see how I'm doing with protein day by day.  We have chickens so we have a bountiful supply of fresh, chem-free eggs.  I have gone back to the big 3, meat, cheese & eggs to give my protein levels a kick in the butt. I still supplement with protein bars (Pure Protein brand rocks at 20 G/bar and low levels of sugar)... but I'm being very deliberate about adding in protein foods as well.  I need to get the levels up to be healthy... but also so that my hair will GROW again!

Peace-Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment